30+ Things To Do This Easter 2017
Image Credit: Roksolana Zasiadko
Easter is nearly here, spring is on it's way and (hopefully) the weather is starting to get a bit warmer. There are lots of special events planned all over the UK for the school Easter holidays and for the Easter weekend 2017.
Chocolate Free Easter Gift Ideas
Once again schools in the UK have totally failed to get it together and agree dates, so some schools and colleges are breaking up on Friday 31st March and returning after the Bank Holiday Monday on Tuesday 18th April, while others break up on Friday 7th April, returning to school on Monday 24th April.
Let's get cracking!
- The Eden Project in Bodelva, Cornwall have lots of special Easter events for kids, all included in the admission price. Have a go at the quests Easter egg hunts and egg-themed games - pluss you could have a crack at the inflatable assault course too.
- The Art of the Brick: DC Superheroes Exhibition opens on 1st March at London's South Bank in a purpose built tent. The exhibition uses nearly 2,000,000 bricks to create large-scale sculptures of the most popular Super Heroes and Super Villains from the world of DC Comics. From Batman to Wonder Woman, from Superman to The Joker and Harley Quinn. Book Now
- Hull is 2017's City of Culture, and this means there are lots of exciting events being held throughout the year. Over Easter families can see all sorts of special exhibitions and events in the city's museums, galleries as well as see performances and art installations all over the city. Top family choices for Easter are the Wild Exhibition at Beverly Treasure House and Playing The Bridge at Scale Lane Bridge which takes place at 2pm each day and is free. The bridge will be turned into a giant musical instrument.
Image Credit: Ariana Prestes
- Worcestershire's CountryTastic Festival is a festival just for kids to discover the countryside. held on Thursday 13th April at the Three Counties Showground in Malvern and includes appearances from Adam Henson and a chance to meet all your favourite farmyard animals. Tickets must be booked in advance.
- Go on an Easter Egg Hunt Once again National Trust Easter Egg Hunts are back for 2017, where many NT properties all over the UK will be hosting Easter Egg Hunts with chocolate eggs as prizes.
- Surfs Up! Surf Snowdonia Adventure Parc is a revolutionary world-first inland surf lagoon and which opens for the new season on 11th March 2017. Learn to surf or have a go at the water assault course. You can hire boards and wetsuits.
Image Credit: © Moomin Characters ™
- Have a Moomin Adventure at Kew Gardens from 1st to 17th April. Follow an exciting interactive trail exploring the hidden depths of the Gardens, passing vibrant displays of fritillaries, camassia and tulips, and culminating at the magical ‘Moomin Camp’ in the wild woodland. You can get a free kid's ticket for every full paying adult by booking through Little Bird.
- Be a Nature Detective with the Woodland Trust and go on an Easter Hunt to spot lots of wildlife and nature that should be around at Easter time. Find the items on the printable worksheet and tick off each one as you spot it.
Image Credit: Puppet Animation Festival
- Venues all over Scotland are participating in the Puppet Animation Festival with a varied range of events for children between the ages of 0-12 including puppet making and animation workshops, puppet theatre and animated films. Events take place between 25 March and 15 April 2017.
- If you're near Glasgow you can visit the Easter Wonderland Show at The Quay, Glasgow, where you can take part in an Easter Egg Hunt, walk through the Giant Balloon Garden, see a Kids Magic Show and take part in a a Balloon Making Workshop.
The Must-See Family Movie Sequels Coming Up in 2017
- A day out at the de Havilland Aircraft Museum will be a thrilling day out for all would-be pilots. See examples of de Havilland's iconic aircraft including the Comet, the Vampire and the Mosquito. With planes from World War Two to jet aircraft, the planes are all restored on site by volunteers. Get up to 50% off tickets by booking through Little Bird
- EXLON - Art Exhibitions London have a brilliant collection of kids activities this Easter - 65 events in London museums and galleries aimed to entertain (with a dash of education) those often bored little ones.
And the best part is . . . . out of 65 listings, 57 are FREE.
- Easter Pantos have been growing in popularity over the last few years, and now there are several professional productions touring the UK this Easter. Find out more at Big Panto Guide.
- Heading off to the Cinema?. What's On at the Cinema this Easter for Kids
- The Ulster Folk & Transport Museum you can have a go at the Great Egg Trail in the Folk Museum and the Eggstreme Egg Hunt in the Transport Museum. You can also sample traditional homemade foods, visit the new born lambs and piglets in the farm and see the horses & donkeys. Why not decorate an egg and then have a go at egg-rolling?!
Image Credit: samborambo
- Visit Warwick Castle for a host of historical fun, including the Horrible Histories Maze, the return of the Horrible Histories Wicked Warwick live stage show, the Mighty Trebuchet, soaring eagles and much more. Save up to 40% when you book through Attractiontix.
- For a super free day out try the Gruffalo Trail at Colin Glen Forest Belfast, where sculptures of characters from The Gruffalo can be seen as you walk along the trail.
- Climb aboard the Easter Eggspress steaming along to Whitehead from Belfast Central station. There might even be an 'eggstra' special passenger on board with a special surprise for the best behaved children!
- Museums and Art Galleries, all over the UK will be hosting children's events over Easter. Contact your local one to find out what is going on, as events will take place over local school holidays only. Lots of the events will be free or require only a small charge to cover materials.
- Make the most of any fine weather and Go Ape. With lush, green forest and a breathtaking scenery combined with exhilarating zip wires, tree-top high wires, tricky crossings (using ladders, walkways, bridges and tunnels made of wood, rope and super-strong wire) . It's your chance to work off all those choccy eggs. Locations all over the UK.
- Footy fans can find FA football skills coaching sessions which take place around the UK during all school holidays. A small charge applies.
- The Bond in Motion exhibition is being held at the London Film Museum in Covent Garden, and it is the official exhibition of original James Bond vehicles that feature on the films. See the archetypal Bond car, the Aston Martin DB5, Goldfinger’s Rolls-Royce Phantom III and the unforgettable Lotus Esprit S1 submersible from The Spy Who Loved Me, alongside less predictable 007 modes of transport such as the Citroën 2CV and the Crocodile Submarine. The exhibit also includes a variety of aircraft, boats and motorcycles. Book Now
Download your free printable School Holiday Weekly Planner
- Sealife has attractions across the UK. Every centre opens a window into the magical world beneath our seas and offers close encounters for all ages with everything from humble shrimps and starfish to seahorses, sharks and stingrays.
- The Edinburgh International Science Festival runs from 1st to 16th April and this year's theme is Get Connected… to science, to one another and to the global community, as we attempt to secure the sustainable future we want to inhabit. For families ther are lots of Hands-on science events and workshops. Some are free, some have a small charge (see what I did there!)
- Read our 7 Tips for Teaching Kids to Knit then get the kids knitting.
- April Fool's Day will fall within the Easter holidays if you break up on 31st March, so why not try playing some pranks on your family and friends!
April Fool's Day Colouring Pictures
Image Credit: Hobby Craft
- Make this Easy Easter Bunny Card with these simple instructions.
- Have hours of free fun with our Easter printables - Easter Colouring Pages and Easter Wordsearch and Anagrams
- Catch up with the latest New Family DVD Releases this Easter.
- Curl up with one of our 10 Brilliant Bunny Books for Easter.
- Get on with Revision. Secondary school age kids will be heading into the exam season, with GCSE and A-Levels starting only a few weeks after the start of the summer term. Just sayin'.
Save the kid's teeth with some Chocolate Free Easter Gift Ideas and groan along to Easter Fun Facts and Truly Terrible Jokes.
About the Author: Jacqui O'Brien is the Editor of eParenting.