What To Put In A Christmas Eve Box
Image Credit: silviarita
Christmas Eve Boxes are a comparatively new part of the Christmas celebrations here in the UK, although it has been well established in the US for a decade or so.
What is a Christmas Eve Box?
A Christmas Eve Box is a place to gather together a few things to make your Christmas Eve a special family occasion – sort of extending Christmas Day by adding a cosy, friendly and relaxing lead up to it.
It’s a great way to wind down so that you get a good night sleep to make sure that Sa nta Claus visits in the night!
What goes into a Christmas Eve Box?
The things that you choose to go into your Christmas Eve Box will depend on how you like to spend your Christmas Eve, but there are a few items that it is traditional to put into your box.
- Christmas Pyjamas A pair of Christmas pyjamas is an absolute must, and they are available at many places on the High Street and online. Here are our favourite Children’s Christmas Pyjamas for this year.
- Hot Chocolate You could include a sachet of a favourite flavour of hot chocolate, or a tin or jar. For a more luxurious drink include a pack of mini marshmallows in the box or a chocolate stirrer.
- A Christmas Movie Only a few years ago this movie would be included in the form of a DVD or Blu-ray. You can still do that, but if you use Netflix, Amazon Prime or another streaming service, you could include an envelope with the name of this year’s movie choice, or maybe a couple of options, if you think that the family will be able to agree!
- Snacks You’ll need something to go with that hot chocolate, so maybe some cookies, gingerbread men, lebkuchen, chocolate coins or perhaps some popcorn to eat with the movie.
- A Christmas Book such as The Night Before Christmas, The Polar Express or The Snowman. This should be a book that can be read aloud so that younger children will be included.
- Santa’s Magic Key so that Santa can get in the house if you don’t have a chimney of course! Any old or decorative key can be used for this, or they can be purchased very cheaply from Amazon, Etsy or eBay.
- Magic Reindeer Food for Rudolph and his friends of course! This is usually plain porridge oats or bird seed which has been packaged nicely or pre-packed versions are available. Sprinkle outside for the reindeer to eat. (Birds will probably really appreciate your gift, especially if it is very cold).
There are lots of other things that can be included in your box; all of them are fun things for Christmas Eve. All the gifts should be small and inexpensive – the idea is not to make Christmas a lot more expensive, and they can be items that you might have given as stocking fillers.
Any small gift item would be a lovely thing to put into your Christmas Eve Box, the choice is yours. For a ready made collection of tasty Christmas snacks, Marks & Spencer have this Santa's Sack of Christmas Treats full of delicious Christmas treats.
More Christmas Eve Box Ideas
- A Christmas Mug to drink your hot chocolate out of.
- A Puzzle or Activity Book should be book of relaxing and fun puzzles or colouring to help everyone wind down. Could we suggest our very own eParenting Book of Wordsearches, which has 100 brand new themed wordsearches, suitable for kids or adults?
- Family Games such as card games or board games.
- A New Tree Decoration which can be hung up just before bedtime. Best Personalised Christmas Decorations with Names
- Toiletries such as toothpaste, festive lip gloss or hand cream.
- Slippers are always a cosy idea, whether you give themed Christmas slippers or some nice fluffy ones!
- Thank You Cards to encourage your children to write a quick note to thank people for their presents.
- Mini Craft Kits for making Christmas decorations.
- Christmas Socks to keep little feet warm all through the festive season.
Where do I find a Christmas Eve Box ?
There are two options when it comes to the actual box that you put your items into.
The first is to make your own box. You can use any cardboard box that you have at home and decorate it as you please; cover it in Christmas wrapping paper, paint it with a festive design or stick pictures onto it.
You can do the same with an old wooden box or crate, or you can buy a plain wooden box to decorate from your favourite craft shop or Amazon. We love this Large Wooden Treasure Box from Baker Ross, which is ready to decorate and keep for years.
Of course there are some beautiful ready-made Christmas Eve Boxes that you can find online.
Personalised Little Forest Friends Christmas Eve Box
For a beautiful keepsake which you will enjoy bringing out year after year, the Personalised Little Forest Friends Christmas Eve Box from Oli & Zo at Not on the High Street is just perfect.
You can personalise it with your child's name, or the family if you want to make the Christmas Eve Box into a family tradition.
Santa, Penguin & Elf Christmas Eve Box
This cute and affordable cardboard Santa, Penguin & Elf Christmas Eve Box by Snow White at Amazon is ready to filled with gifts. Sent flat packed it measures 21cm x 32cm x 11cm.
Christmas Eve Box With Festive Pattern
A classic design suitable for a boy, girl or adult, the Christmas Eve Box With Festive Pattern from Funky Hampers is wooden and comes in a choice of three different colourways, red, green or blue and two sizes, large or mini.
Personalised Laser Engraved Solid Ply Wooden Christmas Eve Box
This Personalised Wooden Christmas Eve Box by Bespoke at Amazon, is professionally laser engraved with a bespoke design onto the wooden box.
Things To Do In October Half Term
Twins: How To Cope - A Personal Experience
The 10 Types of Developmental Toys Every Baby Needs
About eParenting: eParenting was started by Jacqui O'Brien in 2004. At the time her kids were 1 and 4 and kept her nice and busy. Now they are teenagers and still keeping her pretty busy!